Understand how fertility clinics function
As infertility is a subject close to your heart, it is important to remember at the end of the day, fertility clinics are businesses. Take the time to research all clinics in your area – and even within a decent driving distance of your area – to exhaust all immediate options. Don’t necessarily choose the top hit on Google, the only clinic your insurance covers, or the famed clinic your best friend claims is the best. When doing your initial research about clinics, consider taking the following steps:
- Look at each respective clinic’s blog and referrals
- Scroll through the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART) fertility success rates by clinic
- Speak to a clinic representative over the phone or by appointment
- Join a local infertility support group to gain insights from current patients
- Ask for a doctor consultation at clinics that seem like a good fit
Reflect on conversations with potential fertility clinics
After identifying several fertility clinics that seem equipped to take on your case, reflect on your research and conversations with clinics in the fertility practice. When going through this cycle, make sure to ask:
- Does your office put forth individualized patient treatment plans?
- Do you have any other treatment options besides In-Vitro Fertilization (IVF)?
- How does your clinic define “success”?
- What insurance is accepted?
Establish a Connection with Your Clinic
Beyond the above questions that should be addressed, you must have good rapport with the fertility clinic and a connection you believe will grow as you go through this process. If your gut doubts the clinic and their relationship-building skills, do not move forward with treatment. In this time, you should feel safe, beautiful, and wanted. After addressing initial questions, here are some additional things you should keep in mind:
- How are you greeted?
- How accessible is their office during after-hours?
- Does the clinic seem hopeful for their patients, and more importantly, your family?
As you navigate the waters of finding the right fertility clinic, make sure to research things you don’t know, ask lots of questions, and feel comfortable in the clinic decision-making process. If you have any questions regarding infertility, please contact one of our Ohio or Michigan fertility clinics to speak with a specialist.